Part 2: The Inflation Rate (weight 30% of the assignment grade)
Complete the following exercise:
Visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics Web Site,
www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.toc.htm . Select Consumer Price Index Summary.
Write a report (1-2 pages double – spaced) to answer the questions:
- What month (and year) is summarized? What was CPI-U for that month?
- What was the rate of inflation (percentage change in the CPI-U) for the month? How does that rate of inflation compare with the rate in the previous month?
- Which two categories of goods or services had the greatest price increase for the month?
- Which two categories of goods or services had the lowest price increase (or greatest price decrease) for the month?
- Who loses from inflation?
- Who benefits from inflation?
Part 3: Unemployment Data by Labor Force Groups and Duration (40% of the project grade)
Go to https://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/cea/…
– the home page of the Economic Report of the President.
Scroll down and Click on the link download as pdf.
This link is located below Appendix B: Statistical Tables Relating to Income, Employment, and Production.
- Find unemployment data (Table B–12.—Civilian unemployment rate) for the following four years 1995, 2000, 2005, and the last available year. Use four labor force groups: males, and females, in each case 16 to 19 years of age, versus 20 years of age or over. Present the result in your project as a table.
- Use the Economic Report of the President (Table B–13.—Unemployment by duration and reason) to find data on the duration of unemployment in 1995, 2000, 2005, and the last available year. Present the result in your project as a table.
Write a report (1-2 pages double-spaced) about the results you received.
In this paper consider, but do not be limited to the following:
- Compare the distribution of unemployment by duration over these years. What relationship, if any, do you find?
- Starting in the early 1990s many U.S. firms downsized their operations. In your opinion, how did this affect the duration of unemployment?
- Demographic studies show that the proportion of teenagers and minorities in the U.S. population is likely to increase in the near future. In your opinion, what implications, if any, will this trend have on the unemployment rate?
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"